-A A +A

Contact Us

Also find us on:

Moving Into Your New Home

When you have received the keys to your new home, there are a number of important things to be done before you settle in. These will be explained to you in detail when you sign up to your tenancy.

You need to:

  • Connect to utilities: You must make sure that the gas, electricity, telephone and water utility companies know that you are moving. It is your responsibility to contact them.When you move from one property to another you must arrange for a final meter reading to be taken at both properties so that you do not pay for any gas or electricity used by the next or previous tenant.
  • Inform Council Tax: Please tell Gedling Borough Council’s Council Tax Section that you have moved into your new home. They can be contacted on 0115 901 3950.
  • Arrange any Housing and Council Tax Benefit: The council offers assistance towards rent and Council Tax for those on low incomes. You should always complete a form, even if you are in doubt as to whether to apply. If you wish to discuss this further, then call Gedling Borough Council on 0115 901 3970. As of April 2013, Welfare Reform has brought significant changes to the benefit system.  We will keep our tenants up to date with these changes and provide advice and guidance. You can find more information on our Welfare Reform pages.
  • Arrange change of address: You should pass on your new address details to any relevant people, for example, your doctor, your children’s schools, the Benefits Agency (if you receive any benefits) and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You can contact the Post Office and ask them to redirect your mail to your new address for a certain length of time for a small charge. It takes a few days after you have contacted them to arrange the redirection, so you should do this as soon as possible. For further information ask at your local Post Office or visit the Post Office website.
  • Buy home insurance: Whilst we insure the structure of your home we do not insure the contents.  We strongly advise you to take out suitable contents insurance as you are responsible for insuring your own furniture and belongings. We offer our own Home Contents Scheme through Aviva. For further details please see our Home Contents Insurance page, call the Revenues team on 0115 905 1515 or email enquiries@gedlinghomes.co.uk
  • Arrange for rubbish collection: All of our homes have wheelie bins for refuse collection. If you have moved into a large block of flats, then we may provide a communal facility for refuse collection. It is your responsibility to ensure that the rubbish sacks and/or the bins are left in the correct place on the correct day for collection. Your neighbours will be able to tell you on which day the collection takes place or you can ring Gedling Borough Council on 0115 901 3621 for details.
We may be able to:
  • Offer advice on the cost of moving: If you need financial help with the cost of moving please ring the Money Wise Team on 0115 905 1515 or contact the Benefits Agency on 0345 604 3719. In some circumstances we may offer some financial assistance to Gedling Homes tenants moving from family housing to our own sheltered accommodation. Please call the re-lets team on 0115 905 1515 for further details. We do not provide furniture for your home. You might be eligible for help with purchasing furniture. For more information contact the Benefits Agency on 0345 604 3719.
  • Offer a Decoration Allowance: Our decorating scheme is called Brushes. If a decorating allowance is awarded this will be based on the size and condition of the home. The allowance is in the form of a points for use at the local Johnstone’s Decorating Centre on Carlton Road, Nottingham, NG3 2FB. You will be issued with a Brushes brochure from which you can select your preferred products based on the points awarded.  This brochure includes useful decorating advice to help you achieve a satisfactory result.  You can collect your goods in person or there is the option of a delivery service with your first order.